Primarily due to the remoteness of Kangaroo Island, there are a number of quarantine restrictions in place to protect agriculture and the environment on Kangaroo Island.
These include the following:
• Bees and honey products must not be bought onto Kangaroo Island to protect the sanctuary for the only pure Ligurian bee population
• Unwashed and dirty potatoes must not be bought onto Kangaroo Island to protect the seed potato industry
• Kangaroo Island is rabbit and fox free protecting the unique environment
• Declared weeds must also not be introduced to Kangaroo Island and
• Grape vine cuttings must be inspected and certified prior to entering Kangaroo Island protecting the grape industry.
In 2005 the Kangaroo Island Council adopted the first Dog and Cat Management Plan and associated by-laws which complemented the above quarantine restrictions primarily by:
• Requiring all dogs and cats to be microchipped and registered
• Requiring all cats to be desexed except registered breeders
• Restricting the number of domestic animals to two per property
If you are visiting Kangaroo Island and bringing your Dog and/or Cats its important to notify Council of the following details:
For further information please contact Customer Service on 08 8553 4500 or email email@example.com