Citizen of the Year 2021
Kangaroo Island Council 2021 Citizen of the Year Awards
Nominations for the Kangaroo Island Citizen of the Year Awards are now open, including Citizen of the Year, Event of the Year and Project of the Year.
These Awards recognise people and events and projects that make a real difference in our community.
If you know someone who makes our Community a better place, please nominate them for an Award.
The Awards will be presented as part of the Australia Day celebrations to be held on 26 January 2020.
Entries close on Friday 20 November 2020.
The nomination form can be found here.
- 2019 Elizabeth (Beth) Bald (Posthumous)
- 2018 Joy Willson
- Exemplary Service to the Community - Beth Davis
- 2017 Rodney Bell
- Exemplary Service to the Community - Sue Florance
- 2016 Allan Henderson (Voluntary Services to the Community) and Elizabeth Dieckmann (Services to Youth and Education)
- 2015 Jeff Howard
- 2014 Joy Wheaton (Service to the Community) and the Kangaroo Island Cancer Support Group (Community Group of the Year)
- 2013 Libby Barrios (Service to the Community and Environment) and Carina Willson (Service to Youth)
- 2012 Bryan Kelly (Service to Sports and Youth) - Graeme Connell (Service to Community and Emergency Services) and Heather Fisher (Service to Education and Humanity)
- Certificate of Appreciation: Wayne and Maria Loechel
- 2011 Kerry Kaye Boss (Service to Youth) - Ian and Libby Kelly (Service to Community)
- 2010 Desmond Lanthois
- 2009 Kate Williams (Charitable & Community Leadership), Geoff Rischbeith (Philanthropy and Business) and Cheryl May (Emergency & Sports)
- 2008 Melinda Campbell
- 2007 Bob Farnden
- 2006 Helen Sheridan
- 2005 Sharon Menz
- 2004 David Edmonds
- 2003 Graham Trethewey
- 2002 Gwenda Kappe
- 2001 Ann Jamieson
Past recipients of the Kangaroo Island Community Event of the Year Awards (presented 26 January - Australia Day)
- 2019 Parndana Museum Soldier Settlement Reunion and Concert
- Special Commendation - Variety Bash
- 2018 100th Kingscote Show
- 2017 Community Event of the Year - KI Players for "Blithe Spirit"
- 2016 American River Gala Day 2015
- 2015 Friends of Park Forum
- 2014 Shearers Hall of Fame
- 2013 Kangaroo Island Marine Action Group
- 2012 Settlement Day 2011 - to be received on behalf of the community by Advance Kingscote and Pioneers Associations representatives
- 2011 KI Art Feast 2010
- 2010 Combined 50th Celebrations Parndana Show & Parndana School Campus
- 2009 Timber Creek Speed Shears
- 2008 Pink Week
- 2007 Parndana Speed Shears
- 2006 KI Field Day
- 2005 Alfresco by the Sea
- 2004 KI Field Day
- 2003 Rock Eisteddfod
- 2002 Kangaroo Island Netball Association 50th Anniversary
- 2001 SA Rural Women's Gathering
Past recipients of the Kangaroo Island Community Project of the Year Awards(presented 26 January - Australia Day)
- 2019 Heartsafe KI
- 2018 15th Islands of the World Conference
- 2017 Community Project of the Year - SIXTEEN LEGS: Enter The Cave Exhibition
- 2016 R.I.G. Project (Rebuilt Indepence Group)
- 2015 Kingscote Cemetery Heritage Project
- 2014 American River Progress Association Inc. ‘Independence Memorial’