Kangaroo Island Bushfires and Recovery
Kangaroo Island Bushfire Recovery
How to get in touch
Now, more than ever, we are available to address any concerns you may have.
Make sure you reach out to use the assistance available and ask any questions or provide feedback:
- email the Local Recovery team at KIFireRecovery@sa.gov.au
- join the Facebook KI Fire Recovery group
- call the Parndana Recovery Centre on 0438 861 215
Call Local Recovery Coordinator, Rob Manton on 0435 568 170
Services available at the Recovery Centre
12 Jubilee Street, Parndana
Phone: 0438 861 215
Opening hours and services the week commencing Monday 13 July:
- SA Housing Authority Recovery Team and Officers: Mon-Fri 9.00 am – 5.00 pm
- Primary Industries & Resources SA Officer: Mon-Fri 9.00 am - 12.00 noon
- KI Medical Clinic GP: Tuesdays 9.00 am – 2.00 pm. Book ahead on 8553 2037
- KI Health Service Mental Health & Wellbeing team:
Wednesdays 9.00 am – 12.00 noon or by appointment
- Rural Business Support: Tuesday and Wednesday 9.00 am – 4.00 pm
- Salvation Army Financial Counsellor:
Wednesday 12.00 noon - 5.00 pm or by appointment.
Come in for a warm cuppa and connect with the team.
The Recovery Centre can be reached during opening hours on 0438 861 215 or email KIFireRecovery@sa.gov.au
If you have been affected by the fires, most of the information you will require can be found on the Department of Human Services (DHS) website. Additional information is contained in the below links.
Waste Clean Up
If your property has been affected by fire, register your waste needs on the 2019/2020 SA Bushfire Waste Management Registration form at greenindustries.sa.gov.au/register-your-waste-needs - particularly if you have damaged buildings, structures, or yard waste. Spraying of asbestos and CCA ash commenced today and will continue throughout January.
If you wish to make a tax deductible financial donation through Kangaroo Island Council's KI Mayoral Relief and Recovery Bushfire Fund the Bank SA details are:
BSB: 105 094 Account Number: 035 680 540
Account Name: Mayoral Bushfire fund
International deposit enter Swift Code: SGBLAU2S
For anyone wishing to assist in fundraising efforts for the people of Kangaroo Island directly affected by the bushfires, they can donate to the Kangaroo Island Mayoral Relief and Recovery Fund.
The Fund is tax deductible and every dollar donated goes directly to those impacted by the fires. Administration costs are being absorbed by Council.
Please note that your bank transfer receipt is sufficient for the purposes of claiming your donation (this applies to payments already made as well as future payments).
Applications are now open for the KI Mayoral Relief & Recovery Bushfire Fund Application
The Federal Government will provide grants of up to $50,000 to impacted small businesses, and $75,000 to primary producers and farmers.
For all financial relief options go to the DHS website, and click on Grants and Financial Assistance.
- Telstra Assistance Packages - call 13 22 03
- NAB Disaster Relief Fund - immediate access to $2,000 for NAB customers who have either lost homes in this bushfire season or NAB business customers whose businesses have been affected - contact 1300 683 106
- Volunteer Grants Program - for organisations who utilise volunteer support. Expressions of Interest must be lodged by 5pm, Monday 20 January.
- CommBank Bushfire Recover Grants - to help support local communities and replace facilities lost in the fires. Closes 31 March 2020.
- PIRSA Recovery Grants for Bushfire Affected Communities in South Australia - for affected primary producers to help clean-up and repair damaged equipment and fencing. Closes 31 May 2021
- South Australian Small Business Bushfire Recovery Grant - Financial assistance of up to $10,000 is available to impacted businesses in Cudlee Creek and Kangaroo Island. Closes 20 June 2020.
- PIRSA Grants and Assistance
- On-Farm Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate Scheme
- Concessional Loans - Loans of up to $500,000 will be available to support eligible businesses restore and replace assets and property that have been significantly damaged in the fires.
- National Bushfire Recovery Agency (Government of SA) - Recovery Assistance for Families & Individuals, for Small business & primary producers.
- SA Bushfire Appeal - Payments for businesses, producers and apiarists impacted by fires. Applications close 31 July 2020.
For a comprehensive list of grants available to residents of Kangaroo Island, visit Regional Development Australia - Hills and Coast Grant Finder (Grant Guru).
Additional Recovery Information:
- DHS website
- Bushfire and On-site Wastewater systems
- Water Replenishment Process
- Rainwater Quality
- EPA resource page (CCA treated timber, Contaminated water in rainwater tanks, Chemicals and paint, Bushfire affected animal carcasses)
- Food Safety
- Public Health - Bushfires
- Road Closures
- Please advise Council on 8553 4500 if you have relocated your dogs and cats
- If you need assistance with fencing and wish to contact Blazeaid, call John Anderson – 0418 530 471 or email email@example.com
- Waste Management after a Bushfire
- Asbestos Treatment
- FRWA Notice - kerbside collection and bin replacement for fire affected properties
- Grader Lines - all requests regarding repair of grader lines on private property please phone Steve Salamon (CFS) 0438 655 061 or email KIRavineIMT@eso.sa.gov.au
- Rebuilding Post Bushfire - information that may help you navigate the process of rebuilding - from the CFS.
- More information about timeframes and such are available here: greenindustries.sa.gov.au/managing-bushfire-waste-clean-up-next-steps.
- KI Health Flyer - Well being Services & contacts (Version 2)
- National Bushfire Recovery Agency (NBRA) - Questionnaire
- Land Services SA - Bushfire Relief Program
- LivingWorks Start Program - Free suicide prevention training
- EOI - Westend KI Community Recovery Project:
Expressions of Interest (EoI) are sought for the construction of workers’ accommodation at the KI Western Caravan Park closing 5:00pm on 29 June 2020.
The project scope will be outlined at an industry brief at the KI Western Caravan Park 2.30pm on Tuesday 23 June 2020, 2:30pm. If you are unable to attend contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for details. For more information on BizRebuild visit: www.BizRebuild.com.au