About UsIt’s an exciting time to join the Kangaroo Island Council as they work side-by-side with the local community to rebuild the island post-bushfires and plan for future economic growth. Kangaroo Island is a wonderful place to call home and the ideal location to explore the pristine beaches, bushland and local food and wine trails that await just outside your doorstep.
About the Role
The Finance Officer is an integral position within the Corporate Service team, supporting the overall planning, design, development, operation and maintenance of Council’s cost control systems.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Finance Officer is responsible for the provision of financial, budget and accounting expertise to assist with evaluating project costs and ensuring that project budgets accurately reflect current and future performance.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide professional and timely reports, advice and proposals to the Finance Manager and Directors as required
- Implement systems to ensure compliance with cost management requirements
- Participate in business process reviews and systems optimisation
- Assist in the development and management of Council’s Annual budgets, budget reviews, long term financial plan, financial reports and annual statements within set timeframes
- Assist with monthly financial management compliance review and reporting – including internal and external audit, ATO and other regulatory reporting
- In conjunction with the Asset Program Manager, manage the valuation and annual asset capitalisation processes
- Monitor and assess risk management issues relative to financial aspects of Council and implement and develop appropriate financial and internal controls as appropriate
- Assist in the formulation of policies, procedures and practices necessary to ensure the effective operation of Council and ensure its compliance with all relevant Standards, Acts, Regulations and Legislation.
- A Tertiary qualification in Accounting, Finance, or Business Studies or other related discipline (essential)
- Minimum three years financial management experience and knowledge of Local Government functions (desirable)
- Experience using systems, databases and spreadsheets used by Local Government (essential)
- Comprehensive knowledge of statutory requirements relevant to Local Government
- Proven commercial acumen, with the demonstrated ability to analyse financial data including control, monitoring and assignment of costs in a project-oriented organisation
- High level of verbal and written communication skills, including reports, correspondence and memorandums
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work both within a team and autonomously as required.
This is a wonderful opportunity to grow your career in local government whilst enjoying the relaxed and enviable lifestyle that Kangaroo Island has to offer.
If this sounds like you, click Apply Now or for a confidential conversation please call Nicole Marshall on (08) 8273 9347.
For a copy of the Position Description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org