Collections and Borrowing
DVD, Blu-Ray & CD
Online Magazines & E-Books
Adult fiction & non-fiction
Large print books
Children’s & adolescent fiction & non-fiction
Picture books & easy readers
Local history collection
A member can borrow:
- Up to 15 items which includes (DVDs & CDs)
- Up to 6 DVDs
- Up to 6 CDs
On their card at one time.
Library items are loaned for 28 days except for:
- DVDs, CDs & Jigsaws which are loaned for 2 weeks
- Magazines which are loaned for 1 week
- Reference, local history items and current newspapers/magazines which are not for loan.
Unless an item has been reserved by another member, items may be renewed either in person, by telephone or online. Items can only be renewed twice, after which they must be returned.
If an item is already on loan, members can reserve items either in person, by telephone or online. Library staff will notify the member via email or letter to advise them when the item becomes available and ready to collect. Items will be held on the reserve shelf for 10 days after which the reservation expires and the item will be returned to the shelf .
The library will accept donations on the understanding that they will become the property of the library and the library reserves the right to evaluate, use or dispose of the materials as it deems appropriate. Once donated, ownership is transferred to the library and items are not returnable.
The library is happy to accept the following materials in new or nearly new condition:
- Hard cover books – 5 years old or newer
- Paperback books – 5 years old or newer
- Literary classics – any age but in good condition
- DVDs – 5 years old or newer.
Unfortunately, dated, yellow, damaged or musty items will not be accepted. The library also does not accept the following materials:
- Music CDs
- Condensed books
- Magazines (note: these can be placed in the swap box)
- Text books
- Video cassettes
Due to severely limited storage space, library staff asks that you donate only 1 bag or box at a time. Any items that the library cannot accept must be taken by the person responsible for delivering the items to the library. Unsolicited donations may be rejected.
Disposal of items which do not meet the collection criteria is left to the discretion of library staff. Discarded resources may be sold to the public or forwarded to other libraries.
Items returned in error
If a member returns an item to the library in error, the item will be held for 1 month during which the member may claim the item. After 1 month, the item will be considered a donation and assessed and processed as such.
Lost and damaged items
The Kangaroo Island library has the following policy for lost items:
- 14 days after due date: member incurs late fee (applied per item) and sent reminder notice and advised of fee
- 4 weeks after due date: membership is suspended
- 6 weeks after due date: member incurs replacement cost fee and lost item processing charge (applied per item) and issued invoice reflecting this.
- If member pays invoice, membership suspension is lifted.
- If member returns item, late fee and lost item processing charge (if applicable) are still payable, however member is no longer liable for replacement cost fee. Suspension remains until remaining fees and charges are paid.
- If member replace item (with exactly the same item, in new condition), late fee and lost item processing charge (if applicable) are still payable, however member is no longer liable for replacement cost fee. Suspension remains until remaining fees and charges are paid.
The Kangaroo Island library has the following policy for damaged items:
- If a member returns a damaged item, member incurs an item replacement cost fee plus a damaged item processing charge and issued invoice reflecting this.
- If member pays invoice, no further action.
- If member replace item (with exactly the same item, in new condition), damaged item processing charge is still payable, however customer is no longer liable for replacement cost fee.
- If no payment is received within 14 days, membership will be suspended until paid.