Membership and Services
How to become a member
Becoming a member of Kangaroo Island Library is easy and free. Any resident or rate payer of Kangaroo is welcome to join however if you are under 18 years of age, you will require a guarantor (someone over the age of 18). Temporary membership is available to visitors to Kangaroo Island, however a deposit of $20.00 is required.
To join the library you need to:
- complete the Library Membership form
- show proof of identity and current address
(ie drivers licence, student card, proof of age card for proof of identity, utility bills, bank statements, residential tenancy agreement for proof of current address)
- bring in a parent or guardian if you are under 18 years of age
- agree to comply with library policies, conditions and responsibilities
- pay the refundable deposit if applying for a temporary membership.
At the time of becoming a member, you will be issued with a borrower’s card for you to present when borrowing items.
Member conditions & responsibilities
As a member of Kangaroo Island Library you must
- not remove items from the library unless a loan has been recorded.
- present your library card each and every time you wish to borrow an item and ensure that no-one else uses your library card.
- notify the library if your library card is lost and pay the replacement fee.
Note: members who fail to report the theft or loss of the library card will be held responsible for any items borrowed after the date of theft or loss.
- take care of, and return, all items you have borrowed on your card by the due date.
Note: members who request another person to return an item for them are still responsible for that item.
- pay for any lost, stolen or damaged items that have been borrowed on your card and pay for any overdue charges and fees on your card.
- behave in an appropriate manner at all times in the library.
- notify the library of any change of address and phone number and provide verification of the new details.
- comply with the Copyright Act 1968.
Additional conditions of membership
- Library staff have the right to ask a customer to leave the premises if they behave in a socially unacceptable manner and reserve the right to ban a person from the library premises for repeated unacceptable behavior in the library.
- Library staff reserve the right to inspect any bag, case, satchel, basket or trolley brought into the library.
- Neither Council nor library staff are responsible for any loss, damage or theft of personal property whilst a member is on library premises.
- Members may request to be deleted from the database. All borrowed items must be returned prior to making such a request.
- If a member does not comply with the conditions and responsibilities of membership, library staff may, at any time, cancel a member’s privileges or cancel a library card.
Details regarding individual customers (such as addresses and telephone numbers) or the use of services by individuals (such as items borrowed) will not be provided by library staff to anyone, except the actual member or their guardian.
However, this information will be provided if required by legislation or if a Court Order is produced.
It may also be provided to other Kangaroo Island Council staff (for example to advise of updated contact details).